Welcome to beWILDinBC.com, the online magazine of the British Columbia Wilderness Tourism Association and the place to find out about the most exciting and sustainable travel in the world.
Be Wild in BC is an online travel magazine dedicated to the most exciting and sustainable travel in the world – experiences offered by the members of the BC Wilderness Tourism Association. From luxury oceanside spas to rustic mountain side huts, guided wilderness trips to grizzly bear viewing safaris, Be Wild in BC uncovers the most memorable nature based vacations, run by leaders in adventure and eco-tourism, in some of the most spectacular places on earth.
The BC Wilderness Tourism Association (WTA) is a non- profit organization, which exists to protect BC's wilderness landscapes and intact functioning ecosystems. These are scarce natural resources that form the foundation of BC's wilderness tourism sector – an integral part of an ecosystem based economy. The WTA mandate is to “Ensure a sustainable future for BC's wilderness tourism industry through leadership, advocacy, and education.”
The WTA fulfills this role by:
- Representing wilderness as a legitimate land/marine use and aresource of identifiable value to society.
- Participating in provincial land and marine use decisionprocesses and ensuring that wilderness interests and ecologicalsystems are addressed in resource decisions.
- Working with other sectors such as forestry, mining, fisheriesand oil and gas etc, to articulate wilderness tourism issues andobjectives and help secure wilderness landscapes andviewscapes, wildlife habitat and wilderness recreationopportunities.
- Ensuring the survival of key wildlife species such as wild salmon,which is being heavily impacted by unsustainable fish farmingpractices.
- Ensuring that natural, cultural and historical features arerespected and maintained.
- Advocating new parks and wilderness resources, and working tomaintain the integrity of existing parks and wildernessresources.
- Working to positively change (and in some cases enhance)government agency policies so that wilderness opportunities arerecognized and protected, and properly managed.
- Educating the government, public and visitors to BC onconservation issues, related to wilderness recreation andencouraging the sustainable use of land and marine resources.
- Facilitating sector communication and education on issues andopportunities pertaining to nature based tourism in BC.
The WTA also represents one of the greenest tourism sectors in the world by advancing sustainable operating practices, investing in environmental stewardship, and working towards a triple bottom line. We operate the Wilderness Stewardship Fund, which invests in conservation and stewardship projects and processes key to our environment and the sustainability of our industry.
WTA Members include Tour Operators, Regional and Destination Marketing Organizations (DMOs) and Sector Associations. Membership is open to any tourism entity in BC that supports the WTA mandate.
For further information please contact:
Wilderness Tourism Association
PO Box 423 Cumberland, BC, V0R 1S0